Remember, we're a confidential service.

How to cover your tracks for viewing this site.

Call or text for free on 116000

Where can I go when I leave?

We hope what you see here helps.  If you are feeling like running away or are away from home, we are here to listen.

Call or Text 116 000. For free and in confidence.

If you really need to go (and we do know that sometimes it is the only option), then you should head for a safe place. If you have a friend or a relative that you know you can stay with, it is a good idea to call them and see if they are in – especially if they live a long way away. If your plan is to go to a friend’s, then try to make it someone you trust and have known for a long time.

Sometimes people will promise you a lot of things, but anyone who tries to make you do something in return for what they call a favour is not a friend and should be avoided.

If you are unsure about what you are getting yourself into then take a backward step. Have a think about things and if you want to talk the situation through, you can call Runaway Helpline on 116 000, or the police, a family member, your care home or anyone who you feel comfortable talking with instead of potentially getting yourself into a bad situation.

If you have nowhere to go and really must leave then social services could be an option. They could put you in touch with what is called emergency housing that could look at finding you a safe place to stay. This would depend on your age and your circumstances but it is a good option if you have nowhere else.

Runaway Helpline is free and confidential. We can help you contact the police, social services or anyone else you need to talk to. We know that it can feel a bit scary to talk to them, but they are there to help and we can be with you on the call if you like.

Are you thinking of running away because you have been affected by Where can I go when I leave??
Get in touch with us
Share this article

who else can help?

It looks like you’re accessing this website from outside the United Kingdom.

The Runaway Helpline can only provide services to children and young people within the United Kingdom, and information and advice on this site relates to the UK only.

I understand