Remember, we're a confidential service.

How to cover your tracks for viewing this site.

Call or text for free on 116000

I don’t want people to look for me

We hope what you see here helps.  If you are feeling like running away or are away from home, we are here to listen.

Call or Text 116 000. For free and in confidence.

If you think someone has reported you missing then there will probably be police and people you know who are looking for you. Police are likely to contact your friends, family and places you regularly go. Sometimes, they will go to those places to see if you are there. We know that this can sometimes feel scary or annoying and lots of young people say they just want people to stop looking!

If you want this to stop, have a think about who you could speak to about where you are. Is there someone you live with who you could contact? Would you be able to speak to the police? They will want to know that you are safe and well. Sometimes, you might know that you are in a situation which is not safe and be worried about what police will do when they find you.

We can help you talk this through in confidence and if you want our help to talk to someone we can also help you tell someone what’s happening or be on the call when you are ready to make it. We would not do this without your permission.

It’s ok to feel like you need to get away. We all feel like that sometimes. One way of doing this is to tell the person responsible for you that you need some space and that you need to leave. Telling someone you need space can be hard, so take a few deep breaths and stick to the facts. If you tell someone where you are going and when you will be back they are less likely to report you missing. Talking through what to do next with someone you trust can help.

Are you thinking of running away because you have been affected by I don’t want people to look for me?
Get in touch with us
Share this article

It looks like you’re accessing this website from outside the United Kingdom.

The Runaway Helpline can only provide services to children and young people within the United Kingdom, and information and advice on this site relates to the UK only.

I understand