Remember, we're a confidential service.

How to cover your tracks for viewing this site.

Call or text for free on 116000

I don’t know how to get home

We hope what you see here helps.  If you are feeling like running away or are away from home, we are here to listen.

Call or Text 116 000. For free and in confidence.

If you are away from home and want to go back but don’t know how to get there, Runaway Helpline can talk you through the situation and help to put you in touch with people who might be able to help you get home.

Maybe you have run away and used all of your money to travel somewhere and have none left for your train or bus fare home. We can help you to pass a message to a parent, carer or social worker, or help you speak to them through a Three Way Call so that they can talk to you and arrange for you to get the fare money, or come to collect you themselves. Sometimes that isn’t possible, and in some cases we might help you to speak to the police so that they can collect you and take you home themselves or take you somewhere safe while you wait for another way home to be arranged.

Maybe you have gone somewhere you’re not familiar with and you don’t know the way home. We can suggest ways you might be able to find out where you are or help give you directions to where you need to go. In situations where you have no idea where you are, we cannot trace your call to tell you but we might suggest speaking to the police so that they can try to find out where you are calling from.

Runaway Helpline won’t be able to organise or pay for your travel but we will be here for as long as it takes to find you a safe way to get back home, and we will never judge you, no matter how difficult or embarrassing the situation might feel.

Are you thinking of running away because you have been affected by I don’t know how to get home?
Get in touch with us
Share this article

It looks like you’re accessing this website from outside the United Kingdom.

The Runaway Helpline can only provide services to children and young people within the United Kingdom, and information and advice on this site relates to the UK only.

I understand