Call or text for free on 116000

I’ve been reported missing

If you’ve been reported missing, the police will need to see you and speak to you to make sure you are safe and well before they can take you off their list of missing people. In the meantime, it’s likely that they’ll be trying to contact you or may be looking for you to ensure you’re okay.  Until they are sure that you are safe, they will keep looking for you so it’s important that you contact them if you would like them to stop.

The police will need to see you face to face to establish that you’re okay and haven’t come to any harm while you’ve been reported missing. You can contact the police on 101 to arrange meeting them, or attend your local police station to talk with them if you’re not in immediate danger. If you are at risk of immediate harm or in serious danger you should always call 999 and speak with emergency services straight away.

If you’ve returned back to where you live it’s likely that they’ll come to your address and check in with you, they may want to ask you some questions about where you’ve been, as well as asking you questions about your current wellbeing. If you haven’t yet returned to where you live, they’ll still want to speak with you and may be able to meet you somewhere else. They’ll ask you some questions and may want to take you to a place of safety or return you back to your address.

If you left because it’s not safe for you to be where you normally live, then it’s important to make sure that the police know and understand that. If you are under 18 they may need to talk to social services to make sure there’s somewhere safe for you to stay. It’s your right to be safe.

If you’re not sure whether you’ve been reported missing, or you want to talk through what may happen if you try to return, Runaway Helpline are here to listen and support you. You can reach us for free, via text or phone on 116 000. We will listen to you and we never judge. We can also help you with practical support like help talking to the police or speaking with a parent or carer.

Spotting the signs
Exit mobile version