Call or text for free on 116000

Going missing in the UK if you’re not from the UK

We hope what you see here helps. If you are feeling like running away or are away from home, we are here to listen.
Call or Text 116 000. Free, confidential, 24/7.

Going missing and running away in the UK is not a crime and you won’t be in trouble with the Police. Everyone just wants you to be safe, have somewhere to stay and to have someone to talk to.

If you have come to the UK from another country and your family or friends are worried about you, they might make contact with the Police in your home country.  If they regard you as being a missing person, because there is concern for you, they may well ask the Police in the UK to help look for you.

The Police need to see you to be able to say that you are ok and stop looking for you. They may contact your friends and family, your school, college or work and maybe check places that you usually go in the UK. You might get calls, texts or emails from them trying to get in contact with you to make sure you are ok.

You might even get a message from Runaway Helpline if the Police ask us to let you know about us.

Sometimes the Police may decide that putting your photo and basic information on social media, posters and websites will help find you and let you know that people are worried about you. Having all of this happen to you may make you feel angry, frustrated and worried.

It is important that you are safe, have somewhere warm to sleep and that you aren’t being made to do things that you don’t want to do or being hurt. You can contact us at Runaway Helpline. We know from speaking to lots of people who have been missing, that it can be a very hard time. We want to listen, and to help you to make safe decisions. We won’t know who you are or where you are unless you tell us. You’re in charge.

We can also help you make contact with the Police or pass messages to people to let them know how you are.

There are lots of support services in other countries as well and there might be a service in your own country who you can help you.

We speak in English but we have access to a translation service who can help us listen and talk with you in your own language.

Spotting the signs
Exit mobile version