Remember, we're a confidential service.

How to cover your tracks for viewing this site.

Call or text for free on 116000

What you need to know about "Being in care and contact arrangements"

We hope what you see here helps. If you are feeling like running away or are away from home, we are here to listen.
Call or Text 116 000 or email For free and in confidence.
For info about 1-2-1 chat times or to chat live, click the pink chat button below.

Being in care & contact arrangements

Sometimes being in care means restricted access or sometimes even no access to certain people who were in your life before. Sometimes you are allowed to have contact with the people you want, especially if you have good, open communication with your social worker and they can see that there is no risk to you.

If you do have restricted access, it’s good to remember that this decision has been made for your emotional or physical safety. There is always a reason for these restrictions being in place, it isn’t done to punish you.

If you do have restricted access for whatever reason, it may be very tempting to run away to try and have contact with the people you are missing. Depending on your past situation with these people, you could be putting yourself in a dangerous situation. If you are struggling with your lack of contact, you can talk to your social worker to better understand the situation. In some cases you may find that there is something they can do to help you in terms of starting to re-introduce contact with some people again.

If you need to talk about how you feel about missing your family or friends, there are helplines or online forums run by organisations that you can turn to for some support.

Being in care & contact arrangements

Let's Talk: George's Rough Guide to Being in Care

Library Theatre
Are you thinking of running away because you have been affected by Being in care and contact arrangements?
Get in touch with us
Share this article

who else can help?

It looks like you’re accessing this website from outside the United Kingdom.

The Runaway Helpline can only provide services to children and young people within the United Kingdom, and information and advice on this site relates to the UK only.

I understand