Remember, we're a confidential service.

How to cover your tracks for viewing this site.

Call or text for free on 116000

What you need to know about "Not feeling happy in care placements"

We hope what you see here helps. If you are feeling like running away or are away from home, we are here to listen.
Call or Text 116 000 or email For free and in confidence.
For info about 1-2-1 chat times or to chat live, click the pink chat button below.

Not feeling happy in care placements

When a young person is in care, it means that they are being looked after by the local authority. A young person in care might be living with other family members, with foster parents or in a children’s home or secure accommodation. Young people can be in care for lots of different reasons and each person’s situation is different. Most children in care are protected and live safely, however being away from your family can be very hard. Some young people do not have very good experiences in care.

If you are not happy in your placement, there are things that can be done – you can talk to your social worker about your options, or talk to the police if something has gone seriously wrong in your placement. If you contact a helpline or support forum then you will be able to talk through your feelings. Some helplines such as Runaway Helpline can help put you through to a social worker if you are struggling to reach yours, and maybe even be on a Three Way Call to give you that extra feeling of support.

Not feeling happy in care placements
Are you thinking of running away because you have been affected by Not feeling happy in care placements?
Get in touch with us
Share this article

who else can help?

It looks like you’re accessing this website from outside the United Kingdom.

The Runaway Helpline can only provide services to children and young people within the United Kingdom, and information and advice on this site relates to the UK only.

I understand