Remember, we're a confidential service.

How to cover your tracks for viewing this site.

Call or text for free on 116000

What you need to know about "Getting your own accommodation"

We hope what you see here helps. If you are feeling like running away or are away from home, we are here to listen.
Call or Text 116 000 or email For free and in confidence.
For info about 1-2-1 chat times or to chat live, click the pink chat button below.

Getting your own accommodation


You can leave home once you are 16 without needing permission from your parent or carer. You may be entitled to get support with things like housing, education and financial support from social services if you’re 16 or 17 and homeless.

If you’re in this position, you should contact your local authority (council) to find out more or if you need help finding somewhere to live you can contact Shelter, whose website is listed below.

Getting your own accommodation

What to pack before you leave home
Are you thinking of running away because you have been affected by Getting your own accommodation?
Get in touch with us
Share this article

who else can help?

It looks like you’re accessing this website from outside the United Kingdom.

The Runaway Helpline can only provide services to children and young people within the United Kingdom, and information and advice on this site relates to the UK only.

I understand